Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pride and Prejudice: Beginning

The second book I'm going to read is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.  The Kindle edition I'm reading can be found here.
 
This book was published in 1813 and has sold over 20 million copies worldwide since then.  It is one of the most popular English-language books ever written.  In 2003, the BBC conducted a poll for the "UK's Best-Loved Books" and Pride and Prejudice came in second behind Lord of the Rings.
 
It is the story of the five Bennett sisters, especially Elizabeth "Lizzie" Bennett, and their quests to find love and fortune in England at the turn of the 19th century.  The copy I have is 258 pages so I expect to finish this in the next week or two, which will be quite a contrast compared to The Diary of Samuel Pepys
 
This book has inspired a seemingly unlimited number of derivative works, from Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith, which takes the original text and adds zombies, to many various sequels.  There are also multiple film and television adaptations, of which my favorite is the 1995 BBC miniseries (although I am generally an advocate of reading a book before seeing the movie, in this case I have not followed my own advice).

No comments:

Post a Comment