Saturday, February 13, 2016

All Quiet on the Western Front: Beginning

The next book I'll be tackling is All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque. It is the story of German soldiers in France in World War I, focusing on the physical and emotional stress they go through as well as their difficult transition from civilian to military life.

This book was published in 1928 in German and the author, Erich Maria Remarque was a German veteran of World War I so he knew what he was talking about. The version I'm reading was translated from the German by A.W. Wheen in 1929.

In the first year after the book was published, it sold 1.5 million copies. It was banned and burned by the Nazi's during World War II. The book was adapted into a film in 1930.

When I was a child I saw the film version of this book, but I feel it's high time I read the original: regarded by some to be the greatest war novel ever written.

No comments:

Post a Comment