Saturday, December 15, 2012

Barchester Towers: 46% Complete

First of all, I want to express my deepest condolences to the families and friends of those affected by the tragedy in Connecticut.  Words cannot express the depth of my sorrow and shock at the events that have transpired.  May you all find a peace that surpasses explanation this holiday season as you come to grips with your loss.
 
As you can see I've fallen behind a bit on reading.  Strangely enough it seems like now that I'm out of school I actually have less time for reading and more things to distract me than I did before!  But I have read some, so I'm still making progress.
 
The vocabulary word I have for you today is "polemic" which means "a strong verbal or written attack on someone or something" (definition from The New Oxford American Dictionary).
 
The quote for today is one that I found very true and insightful as well as funny.  Trollope writes:
 
"It is hardly too much to say that we all of us occasionally speak of our dearest friends in a manner in which those dearest friends would very little like to hear themselves mentioned, and that we nevertheless expect that our dearest friends shall invariably speak of us as though they were blind to our faults, but keenly alive to every shade of our virtues."
 
Sorry for the short entry.  I will try to have a little more for you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment