Monday, November 26, 2012

A little detour...

So I took a little break over the weekend to read something not on my list.  Now before you get too horrified, it was related to the project.  The book was What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew by Daniel Pool and my mom loaned it to me.
 
The book answers all those questions that you run across while reading nineteenth century British literature (such as Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, the Bronte sisters and many more).  If you've ever wanted to know how Lizzy Bennet would have dressed for the Netherfield Ball or how to play whist or how the British currency system worked or why Mr. Wickham and Lydia were possibly headed for Gretna Green (and where the heck that is) then this book is for you.  In fact, I think I'm going to buy a copy for myself because I know I'm going to want to reference it as I read through the rest of my list.  In fact, even though the book is aimed at nineteenth century, it actually explained several things that I was wondering about when I read The Diary of Samuel Pepys
 
But I finished the book in an afternoon (it's not real long and the last third or so is just a glossary which I skimmed but didn't read) and now I'm back to the classics, namely Pygmalion.  More to come on that probably later today.

2 comments:

  1. I may have to get that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read 19th century British literature, it's fantastic, either as a reference or just to read! Or both!

      Delete