Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Diary of Samuel Pepys: 58% Complete

Happy November, everyone, and a special shoutout to all you NaNoWriMoers! I would join you, but one crazy venture per month is enough for me!
 
I buckled down this week and got quite a bit of reading done, considering I have midterms this week.  I've discovered that, for me, breaking a large goal up into mini-goals helps a lot, so my next mini-goal is to finish this book by Thanksgiving, which, for all you international readers, is November 22nd this year in the US.
 
The word of the day is "quorum" which is "the minimum number of members of an assembly or society that must be present at any of its meetings to make the proceedings of that meeting valid." (definition from The New Oxford American Dictionary)  It seems I keep ending up with a lot of words related to parliamentary proceedings, but as Pepys is involved in government and I am not familiar with a lot of the terminology surrounding this, that is inevitable, I suppose.
 
The quote for the day is one that made me laugh because I am completely familiar with the phenomenon of which he speaks here.  In this passage Pepys has just bought a new watch from the watchmaker and he writes:
 
"So home and late at my office.  But, Lord! to see how much of my old folly and childishnesse hangs upon me still that I cannot forbear carrying my watch in my hand in the coach all this afternoon and seeing what o'clock it is one hundred times; and am apt to think with myself, how could I be so long without one; though I remember since, I had one, and found it a trouble, and resolved to carry one no more about me while I lived."

No comments:

Post a Comment