Sunday, November 18, 2012

Pride and Prejudice: 39% Complete

I'm enjoying this book so much that I'm considering going straight into Sense and Sensibility next.  But I might have to space out my Jane Austen throughout the project.  I can't believe it took me twenty-four (well, more like nineteen) years of reading to get around to this one!
 
The vocabulary word of the day is "diffident" which means "modest or shy because of a lack of self-confidence"(definition from The New Oxford American Dictionary).
 
Today I got to read the passage that one of my favorite scenes in the movie is based off of: Lizzy's refusal of Mr. Collins's proposal and Mr. Bennet's subsequent reaction.  For those of you who have not seen the movie or read the book, Mr. Collins is the Bennet's cousin and he is heir to Mr. Bennet's estate.  He is pompous, self-centered, uncouth, and frankly obnoxious, but he is in a good financial position and when he sets his sights on Lizzy, Mrs. Bennet is thrilled with the idea.  Lizzy, however, is not quite so excited, so when he proposes to her, she refuses him immediately.  Mrs. Bennet is outraged and tells her husband that he must make Lizzy marry Mr. Collins.  Mr. Bennet dutifully sends for Lizzy, and asks her if it is indeed true that Mr. Collins has proposed and that she has refused.  Lizzy confirms this, and Mr. Bennet says,
 
"Your mother insists upon your accepting it.  Is it not so, Mrs. Bennet?"
"Yes, or I will never see her again."
"An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth.  From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents.  Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do."
 
This made me want to cheer for Mr. Bennet, for recognizing that Lizzy would never be happy with the insufferable Mr. Collins, and for his humorous way of standing up to his wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment